Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Theses Responses Round 2

The first thesis I looked at belonged to Adam Argyle and was titled "Hand and Finger Gesture Interfaces: An Exploration of Global Practicality and Plausibility. " My first thought after reading this thesis is that it's hands down the best thesis I've read by an AI student. It was interesting, incredibly well thought out and organized, thoroughly researched and written in a very professional tone. More than all of that, I learned a great deal about something that you would think would be common sense; that being, we gesture while we talk. And while obviously sign language proves it can be a valid form of communication, it was the translation of that to technological devices that I found interesting. The possibilities of gestural interfaces allowing you to live and function in foreign countries as well as the natives who live there is a fascinating concept.

If I had to say anything against the paper it's that I would have loved to seen some illustrations or a visual guide to accompany it. So much of the piece was spent describing various gestures and swipes and with each one it pulled me away momentarily from what he was saying as my brain was trying to construct the movement he was describing. Quick, clean illustrations would have helped me avoid that.


No comments:

Post a Comment