Thursday, January 26, 2012

Project statement for Portfolio Site


Background

  This portfolio site design will actually be the second orientation I have tried out. My current portfolio site was a minimalistic, streamlined approached that really served as nothing but a home for a slider that showed off my portfolio images. A secondary page would also show you a thumbnail view of the pieces, but there was nothing to separate the site from say, a simple wordpress template. On this go around I really wanted to drum up the concept as well as appeal to the viewer with a fresh, interesting take on the portfolio site.

            Target Audience
 
I know off of the bat that I will lose a section of the possible design clientele based on my sites design. If you were looking for cartoony, or a very simple approach to design, mine may not be the design that portrays that.  However I do think the site will speak very strongly for the 45 and under crowd and appeal to both designers and “the normal folk” alike.

            Objectives

   The thought going into this is, I want this site to stand out as much as possible in a way that showcases both creativity and an ability to execute on an idea. I want them to leave the site thinking, “that was different” or “that was a cool idea”, anything that will get me to stick in their minds. There is certainly nothing wrong with a clean slick designed site, but in all honesty, that makes up the majority of graphic design sites. I can’t see how this site won’t at least cause a hesitation in the barrage of clicks from the potential client.

            Obstacles

   The biggest obstacle I can see comes with the sites strength, and that’s the themed approach. There will be some that hate it, and wish I went with a much simpler, streamlined approach. Also, there are camps out there that are sick and tired of seeing aged/antiqued design… they probably aren’t going to dig my site. Lastly, I am capable of doing clean design, in fact several pieces in my portfolio were used for a children’s apparel company, and the fear is, the two design themes will compete against one another.

            Key Benefit

  As I mentioned earlier, the key benefit is that the site will standout, I have little doubt about that.

            Tone

  The tone of the site is a blend of both mature design techniques mixed with a fun and imaginative application of the theme.




No comments:

Post a Comment